Tuesday, September 15, 2009

If you can't say something nice

Well, today was rough. And I don't usually like to write on rough days. You know, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

I'm just wondering where it all went wrong. Sure, it was raining when I woke up. And a kid climbed in my bed and peed on me. And the 2-year old woke up TOO EARLY and woke one of his brothers up. The brother did not go back to sleep, and remained grumpy all day.

I mean ALL DAY.

Because of the morning incidents, I did not get my quiet time. I was lucky to grab a quick shower after breakfast. When school time rolled around, no one was ready. Apparently the routine we've had for years isn't well enough established.

Hmph.

They conveniently forgot their morning chores and dragged their feet when they "remembered."

Now, at this point, I usually (yes, we've had these days before) haul them all outside with their books, and admire the blue sky, beautiful sunshine, and we thank God for such a delightful day. THEN we start our work. But, as I mentioned, it was raining today. Psha.

Sooo, I attempted a cheer-up session, to no avail. Then I resorted to rewards (bribery, whatever...) "Let's take care of this work, then on to more fun stuff, and then maybe we'll bake cookies this afternoon."

No good.

There was fighting, grumbling, kicking. (!!) Every time the boys started to play together, they began fighting. They fought just working next to each other. So they were separated, desks moved across the room. And then they cried about it. Maybe I should have just let them beat each other up?

Thank goodness for yogurt pops, lapbooks, and a husband who comes home happy. Fred worked a long, hard day... he left here at 5:30 am and returned at 4:30pm. But he hugged me when he got home, listened to me (without telling me I was over-reacting.) He expressed confidence in me. And he dealt with the continuing attitude problems throughout the evening. Yep, he even put the grumbling fighting little boys to bed. We usually trade off nights, and tonight was mine for the boys, but Fred took over anyway. I'm actually a bit surprised that he was SO helpful tonight, seeing as how I was rather grumbly myself yesterday evening. Ah, grace.

Then, with all four little people in bed, my husband told me to "sit down."
What a concept. Sit and do nothing.
Nothing.
So I sat and watched TV with him. I never do that.
And it felt good to be still and quiet. Then we turned off the TV and continued to just sit.
Ah.
Quiet.
Still.
Calm. That is what I needed. Tomorrow WILL be better. :-)

Now for a laugh...

Q: How does a homeschooler change a light bulb?
A: First, mom checks three books on electricity out of the library, then the kids make models of light bulbs, read a biography of Thomas Edison and do a skit based on his life. Next, everyone studies the history of lighting methods, wrapping up with dipping their own candles. Next, everyone takes a trip to the store where they compare types of light bulbs as well as prices and figure out how much change they'll get if they buy two bulbs for $1.99 and pay with a five dollar bill. On the way home, a discussion develops over the history of money and also Abraham Lincoln, as his picture is on the five dollar bill. Finally, after building a homemade ladder out of branches dragged from the woods, the light bulb is installed. And there is light. ~Author Unknown

Lord, give me wisdom, patience, love, kindness in dealing with my children. Help me teach them and, God, please help them retain it! Give us a day of peace and joy, above all else. Adjust little attitudes, including mine. I know I easily get discouraged, God. Please lift me up and help me carry on with more strength! Amen.

8 comments:

Ms Debbie said...

Wendy we all have those days. And if you are a little like me, you reflect it on yourself ( what did *I* do wrong or what could I have done differently to make this day turn out better.) There are honestly a few days I get to the end of the day and say... ok, was it ME or THEM? :) Good news is, you all survived. Your kids also learned some lessons on coping today. I mean, when they leave this cozy wonderful home life you have created for them, not every day will be the fairy tale you have written. You are a great mom and you deserve to " sit " more. And.. I am just guessing that your hubby enjoyed your " doing nothing" . Loved your joke! That could be said about FCC homes too. Here's is how you can make a bad day better. Next time it is really bad.. take pics that you love and make an emotions book! :)

sara said...

AHHHRGGG! I know all about those days! Praying today is better for you! Thank the Lord for good husbands and for grace!!!

I love that homeschooler joke :)

Shan said...

You have to have a day like this occasionally to fully appreciate the great ones. That doesn't mean that I appreciate these types of days any more than you.

I did think it was funny that you were immediately peed on. That could set quite a tone. :D

Great job of the hubby to recognize what you needed too!
xo

Shirley said...

Praying today is a better day :)

Anonymous said...

Ah...the Ides of September (you didn't learn that it was March, did you? ;-) )

I am honestly SHOCKED you sat down, seriously! Hooray for you! Hooray for Fred!

- sd

Becca~CapturingSimpleJoys said...

Love your prayer at the end of your post!

That's a good man you have there!

christine said...

You know, those days are actually nice in a way because they help you savor the great ones. Glad you felt you could be honest about your crazy day. We've all been there. Keep up the great work!!

Suzanne ~ TheJoyfulChaos said...

oh, girl. i'm so sorry. DEFINITELY have these days here too. wish we lived closer so that we could've "skipped" school together and sipped tea while all of our kids "fought it out"!

LOVE the joke!