Monday, July 7, 2008

Wendy and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I went to sleep in a warm dry bed and woke up on wet sheets with a toddler next to me. I tripped on my husband's size 13 ski-like shoes when I scrambled out of bed. I fell on a dinosaur. I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

At breakfast, the three big kids ate their food, but the baby threw his off of the highchair. A fly landed in my coffee. And I ran out of root beer.

I think I'll move to Blueberry Land.

At VBS drop-off only one child who was old enough would stay. LiveWire wanted to stay, but he isn't old enough. Dang. I had to drag him out of there. I could tell it was going to be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

The kids fought. The trash leaked. The milk spilled. And there were...ahem...female issues.

LittleLad pulled all the books from the bookcase. Again. And again. Littlelad broke my candle holder. Littlelad knocked the movies down. And Littlelad screamed when I took him out of his highchair. What's up with that? Littlelad is the easy one!

I think I'll move to Blueberry Land. Babies are always happy there, I've heard.

My CD drive won't eject. My car is squealing. Again. My friend is sad. My other friend is out of work. My other friend is angry (not at me, thankfully.) And another friend is in dire need of help. Yeah...you guessed it...I could tell this was gonna be a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

And my wonderful husband. Well, he's even getting on my nerves. New position at work. Better position, but I know there's pressure. I'll forgive the...buggerishness of this evening. (What, that's not a word?)

But, you know, some days are just like this. And it could be worse. Much worse.
Even in Blueberry Land.

I'm prepared for tomorrow! New game plan in place. I'm ready to start a new day. Thank You, God, for new days. The sun sets and it comes back up, fresh and ringing with promise.

Tomorrow TWO kids will go to VBS. And one toddler will get "special time" during Littlelad's nap. And Littlelad will be banned from all bookcases. And he will be happy anyway, because we'll play pat-a-cake and he loves pat-a-cake. (So do I!) The big kids won't fight (prayer item here!) and the van won't squeak (I'll drive reeeallly slow.) I'm hoping for A Terrific, Happy, Very Good, Positive Day. :-)


PS Almost forgot two of the GOOD things that happened today. We had ALL debt paid off (except the house) but medical stuff always sneaks up on us. Usually because insurance glitches something up and we end up owing more than they first said we would be required to pay. But...annnyway, I paid off our only debt...a small medical debt and now it's gone. Woo-hoo.

I also met Shan in person!!! At VBS! And, being the dork I am, I didn't realize who on earth it was until about mid-way into our conversation, and at that point I didn't think I should jump up and down and say "IT's YOU!!" because I had...ummm...already kinda pretended to know who on earth I was talking to, and I thought the sudden realization would throw her off a bit. Like I said, this day was just kinda off for me!

Shan, it was nice to meet you!! Tomorrow I'll act more friendly, now that I know who you are. :-)

Oh, and thanks for saying I'm taller than you expected. I'd like to be tall. I wear heels A LOT.

5 comments:

Adelia said...

But you were a blessing to others even on your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. You served others even when your day was a little rough! Hoping that today, you are blessed for your love and kindness!

Shan said...

Oh dear Wendy! I had no idea when I rushed up to you and started analyzing your height, that you were having a bad day. I would be stressed everyday trying to juggle four kids outside my own house.
And, I should have said who I was. I hate that feeling of not quite being able to place a face I'm suddenly talking to. It was too early in the morning for me to be anything but socially awkward so there you go. ;)
It WAS fun finally meeting you though. I told my husband when I talked to him on the phone right after I left, that I saw one of my blog friends-teehee. WHEN BLOGS COLIDE

Have a much better day young tallish woman!

Ann-Marie said...

I'm jealous of Shan. I would like to meet you in person. I actually think of you like a sprightly, elfin-like creature! I'm more like a hobbit myself. Maybe like a troll with the humidity being the way it is right now.

I'm sorry about the bad day. Would you like to escape to Illinois? :-)

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Oh, poor Wendy! Had you told me the day's events when you called, I would have rushed to town to try and rescue you!
BTW...Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is my favorite childhood book next to Cordoroy! :0)
I hope today is much better and makes up for yesterday! :0)

I'll be bringing you some goodies later, hopefully that will help, dear friend.

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

Aww...it does sound like it was a pretty bad day, though you made it rather enjoyable to read about at least! Maybe yesterday was a bad-baby day; Scarlett sure was bad. But right now she's in the bathroom spilling the kitty water everywhere, so I guess it carried over...I'm glad Fred got a new position; I'll have to hear more about that. Are you having a better day today?