Sunday, November 30, 2008

SNOW before December

Well, you non-Arkansans may not know that we just don't get much snow here. We're lucky to get two or three flurries a year, plus maybe one good (but short) snowman-building day. And, even then, it might be a 2-foot tall midget, and 50% mud.

Snow "Days" aren't really accurate either. It's more like snow moments.

This is yet another reason that I'm thankful for homeschooling. The school kids often miss the snow entirely. They get the slushy cold aftermath, following a day of watching big white flakes fall on the other side of the glass. But, regardless of the day or time, we can run out and snap some pictures, catch a few flakes on our tongues, or make some snow (muddy) angels on the ground.

(Yes, laundry is fair trade for joy of this kind.)

At 8am this morning I called my parents to make sure they would see it. Dad initially disputed this...then he squinted and caught a glimpse of the small flurrying flakes. "ahhh....well, yes, it is actually snowing."

The kids started dancing around. Mannheim Steamroller was started to enhance the mood.

I tried to get photos of the flakes falling, but they didn't show up. You'll have to do with a picture of where the flakes landed. LOOK--SNOW!**update**
It actually snowed ALL day. Wow. I can't stand dreary weather (!!!) , but I can handle it if we get some snow. :-) So I walked around outside, went to the store, and ran some other errands. Actually, I didn't have much of a choice since we were out of milk and diapers. Still, I enjoyed the outings. :-) Hope you did, too.

5 comments:

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Okay....did you do your post before or after you saw my post for today? LOL!!! Great minds think alike!!! By dark we actually had enough to give us a "white" carpet...and it's still coming down. Tomorrow will be glorious to watch from inside with a nice cup of hot chocolate! :0)

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....."

Jerri Dalrymple said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann-Marie said...

Up here in northern Illinois, we've got four inches of the white stuff! Brett and I were actually on the road traveling back from visiting his family during most of the snowfall! It was very icky driving! Today...I was surprisd they didn't close the schools. So, it's off to work I go! Days like this, I wish I worked from home. :-) I'm glad you enjoyed your snow dusting!

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

I LOVED the snow! It made me feel so cheerful and relaxed! For some reason, I felt like the snow gave me a free ticket to do nothing and just relax. And, because I was excietd about this freedom, I suddenly had the energy to reorganize most of the cupboards in my kitchen. Hehe!

Shirley said...

Here in Alabama, we had a "severe weather warning" for some snow flurries! And ... we did actually have some snowflakes coming down :) I think I could almost count them all.
Enjoy it while it lasts!