Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Ideas for the kitchen Part1

First, clear off the counters. Hang cups, bananas, etc from inside the cupboards, or from the bottom.
Clear away knick knacks... or at least group them tightly as a focal point,
rather than misc clutter.


Now, what can you do to make this a fun place to be? After all, we spend a great deal of time in the kitchen.

This is Sara Mincy's kitchen. I adore it. Truly. Just looking at the picture makes me smile. In fact, I was so inspired by her creativity and use of color that I copied her. Imitation is the purest form of flattery, right? I now have bright lanterns hanging in my dining area as well.

Try vinyl.Vinyl can be purchased cheaply on eBay.

Don't overlook paint. It's useful everywhere. And it's fairly cheap and easy. Consider painting the cupboards, an accent wall, the ceiling, or a door. Do not be scared of color. Let your personality shine through, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. You live in your house, not your mother-in-law (hopefully.)

Rugs are also cheap, and can make an impact. Old rugs are useful, too. Try putting one under the trash can in the cupboard. Then, if there is any kind of mess, you simply shake it outside, or throw it in the washing machine, rather than scrubbing the bottom of the cupboard.
Try making your own backsplash.Visit hgtv for the how-to of the one above. (It's paper!)
This is Sara's. Love it.

Another Idea: Special Treats
Decorate the insides of cupboards. Sometimes a special hidden treat can be a real smile-inducer. I've decoupaged the inside of my cupboard doors with my favorite scrapbook papers,
Bible verses, and paintings.Visit this site for more ideas and their instructions.

Line the inside of drawers with place mats, pretty liner, wallpaper, scrapbook paper. You can decoupage them, or use contact paper. Or, for a less permanent idea, put your favorite paper down and then cut a clear placemat to fit on top. This is also good for those of you who like to change things around often. The Dollar Tree carries shelf liner, but it's even cheaper at auctions, yard sales, or thrift stores. I bought an entire roll for a quarter.
More to come...

4 comments:

christine said...

Ok, that kitchen is SO FUN!!!! I'm all about the fun colors! You are such an inspiration to me because I have pretty much ZERO talent with making anything beautiful. :) Seriously, I just don't have the eye--so it's so fun for me to get ideas from someone who does!!

Ann-Marie said...

Wow - creativity gone WILD! What amazing ideas, Wendy. When we get settled in our new apartment, can I fly you up to decorate for us?!

(Yeah, because I am rolling in the dough...but I'd still like to actually SEE you one of these days).

Adelia said...

I'm a lantern fan too. I have some summer lantern fun coming up. Can't wait!

Wendy said...

Ann-Marie, I want to see you, too, and I want to see that baby boy when he arrives!! I'd love to help decorate your apartment! When you inherit some gold, lemme know, and I'll pack my bags. ;-) Really, maybe I could drive up someday...