Sunday, March 22, 2009

Risotto with Artichokes and Parmesan Cheese

This recipe comes from my friend Sam, who got it from Williams-Sonoma Italian Favorites.

Ingredients:

Juice of 1 lemon

4 large artichokes or about 20 small ones

2 T extra-virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced (I love my Pampered Chef food chopper)

1/2 c chopped fresh Italian parsley

2 1/2 c water

salt and freshly ground pepper

3 c Chicken Stock (I used organic chicken-base Better than Bouillon)

1 1/2 c Arborio rice

1/2 c grated Parmesan

1 lemon, cut into wedges

(Go ahead. Ask if you must use Arborio rice. Then read this article.)

Have ready a large bowl of water to which you have added half the lemon juice. Remove the stems and tough outer leaves from artichokes until you reach the pale green hearts. If using large artichokes, cut in half lengthwise, then scoop out the prickly chokes and discard. Cut the artichokes lengthwise into thin slices. As each is cut, place it in the bowl of water.

In a deep frying pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and half of the parsley and saute for 2 minutes. Drain artichokes and add to the pan along with 1/2 c water and large pinch of salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the liquid evaporates, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine stock and 2 c water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to achieve a gentle simmer and maintain over low heat.

Uncover the artichokes, add the rice, and stir for 2 minutes to coat. Add a ladleful of the simmering stock-water mixture and stir constantly over medium heat. When the liquid is almost absorbed, add another ladleful. Stir constantly to keep the rice from sticking and add more liquid, a ladleful at a time, when the previous ladleful is almost absorbed. The risotto is done when it is tender but slightly al dente and the center of each grain is no longer chalky, 20-25 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and remaining parsley and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

This got great ratings from my entire family!! Enjoy!

5 comments:

Shan said...

Wendy you are on fire! When I picture you lately as I read of all your crafting, I just see a blur. Your house is gonna have to be on the home tour next Christmas I think.

My comments have been a little thin but I have been gaping at all of your updates just the same. Good work little dervish!

This risotto looks wonderful and I think I should actually try it. I've never used fresh artichokes before so I'm wondering if I can use the canned ones. I need to get some of that pasts rice too because I love it so so much. Have another great week! :)

Arato Girl said...

Oh, yeah, I'm gonna try it. I bet it makes the kitchen smell heavenly, too. I'm a huge fan of onions, garlic, and fresh herbs.

>>> said...

It sounds like waaaaay too much work. So I should try it at YOUR house after you've enjoyed making it = )

Just what are those Woods up to? said...

MMMMM!!!!! (although I'm with October; it may be a little too much work for me (-: When are you cookin'?)

Adelia said...

Sounds wonderful! We should do a potluck dinner one night. You should bring this dish. ;-D