Thursday, February 21, 2008

Homemade Playdough





This morning we made Homemade Play Dough:



Double this for a large batch.

1 cup flour

1/2 cup salt

1 cup water

1 T vegetable oil

3 T cream of tartar

Coloring, see below.
Mix all ingredients together in a pot and cook over medium heat while stirring constantly (use a wooden or metal spoon, because this gets rather stiff) until it makes a ball. This happens faster than you'd think. It only takes 4 to 5 minutes for a double batch.

Turn the ball out on the counter and knead it (careful, it's warm) for a minute or two. Use Food Coloring or tempera paint. Or, for a nice smell and bright color, knead in a small package of Kool-Aid.

Start with a small amount of color and mix, adding more until you have the shade you want.

I used paint this time.


Let cool before you hand it over to the kids. Enjoy!


Store in airtight container in refrigerator to make it last several weeks.



After school, I made corn bread for the beans, and made french bread. It's a miracle that the corn bread turned out as well as it did. When my back was turned, my helper (Trevor, of course!) dumped the WHOLE container of baking soda in!! Luckily, I saw it before he stirred, and I think I was able to get most of it out. I'll tell ya, it's an adventure to bake with a toddler! ;-)

Here are a couple of Titanic pictures, one of my family and the other is a "boarding pass."




No comments: