Sunday, September 14, 2008

Football Widow

We got a great deal when we switched to digital cable. Just $9.99/mo for all the movie channels...and...ugh...the sports package. Ordinarily you couldn't pay me to take such a deal, but it was a package thing for our new phone line. Great deal. Would have been more expensive not to take it.

I doomed myself to the life of a football widow. (Or at least for the next 6 months, which is when the deal expires.) This morning my husband says, "Know what I'm doing after lunch? Guess!! I'm watching football. And after that? Yep, I'm watching football. And after that? More football!!" His head might explode soon and we're only on day 1.

Under the circumstances, I think I am definitely entitled to football jokes and quotes!!

A football coach was asked his secret of evaluating his new recruits. "Well," he said, "I take 'em out in the woods and make 'em run. The ones that run round the trees, I make into running backs. The ones that run straight into the trees, I turn into linemen."

Football is a mistake. It combines the two worst elements of American life. Violence and committee meetings. -- George Will.

"Well, we've determined that we can't win at home and we can't win on the road. What we need is a neutral site."
- John McKay, the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, during the inaugural season of 1976 when the Bucs endured a 0-14 record.

"Well, we didn't block real good but we made up for it by not tackling."
- John McKay, the first coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, during the inaugural season of 1976 when the Bucs endured a 0-14 record.

"I'm in favor of it."
- John McKay, coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1976, when asked about the execution of his team.

"You guys line up alphabetically by height."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

6 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Ditto, my dear. Ditto up and down the 50 yard line.

Anonymous said...

I must say my absolute favorites are the last two!

Anonymous said...

Do you know what the requirement for a High School Principal in Arkansas is? Three losing seasons.

Wendy said...

Haaahhhaaaa

Simply Stork said...

Yes...I can say with out a doubt...football is not my favorite!

Once when My husband and I were dating I introduced him to a girlfriend of mine...and her new husband. We sat in our living room and her husband said to mine..."So are you into sports?" my husband answered..."not really" and then her husband sat with a very confused look on his face...finally he said "um...what else is there?"

We are all still friends today! but her husband is no longer living a "sports only" life :o)

Thank the Lord things change!

~simply~

Shirley said...

Love these, too! My hubby thankfully does not watch football all the time - he just kind of keeps track of the teams and then watches playoffs and superbowl ... well, and if the Steelers are playing :)
Shirley
ps - about your comment on my post ... LOVE anything by Philip Yancey (although I have not read them all). Have you ever read his books with Dr. Brand about pain? They were fascinating to me (I like physiology). My alltime fav of his is "What's so Amazing about Grace" I also love Beth Moore, but I actually like doing her Bible studies more than just reading her books. Love Jim Cymbala's stuff, too - he has a new one out that I had to leave at the bookstore the other day (because I bought Hello Love :).
OK - now I'm writing a book! Sorry!