Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Simply Amazing Birthday

The Birthday Girls. Trish had a "big birthday" on Friday. Mine was Saturday.

I successfully crammed three parties into one day! At 6am yesterday my beautiful beautician sister headed over to my cottage to do highlights for me, eyebrow wax, makeover, and style. I'd never had my eyebrows waxed before. I know, I'm strange. The beautifying process took some time (heh), but I came out alive, delighted with Julie's work.

So let party #1 commence. Fred bought me cream-filled donuts (the only kind I eat, and only on "special occasions"), and the kids sang to me, then hubby took me shopping at sales and the festival.

We then rushed on to Party #2 at my parents house. A quick deli lunch, and then I had requested pie rather than cake. Yum, yum for pie! I got another round of singing, my gift (thanks, Mom and Dad!), and then rushed off to prepare for Party #3.

Now the third was intended to be a ladies' night out, but my bday fell on a Saturday this year, so it ended up being like a birthday party for myself. (blush) Not my intention there, guys, but I do so appreciate the cards, gifts, songs, cakes.

This was truly one of the most wonderful birthdays I've ever had. I got to see a lot of my family and more friends than I imagined seeing on "my day."


Mary and Sherrill, munching their hot dogs.


Years ago, when I was so lonely one day, I cried out to God, asking Him to please give me some godly women friends. God is good. He has blessed me more than I deserve, with some of the most amazing girlfriends!
And without further ado, here are some more pictures:

My camera was snatched by my sister, so I stood between Charlie and Sherrill, so I wouldn't have to take the flash alone!


We started out munching, then the whole introduction rounds, and then we played some games. They were more ice-breakers than games, as no one really "wins." It's just about getting to know each other. I realized that almost everyone here knows me through either our homeschool group or some kind of church/ ministry.

Lindsay, Amy, and Charlie...nice pose, Charlie!

The first game was "I Have Never..." Everyone sits in a circle except one person. The person in the middle says something that they have never done (ie. I have never gotten a manicure or I have never worn a bikini). All the people who have never done that have to get up and find an empty seat (from someone else who just got up). The person stuck without a seat is now in the middle. This game has no time limit. Wow-- I learned some interesting info! ;-)
Suzanne and Kathryn, do we need to separate you two??


The second game was Two Truths And A Lie. Each person writes 2 truths and a lie about themselves. The group has to guess which is the lie. We played variations of this later in the night. The tongues get looser as the night went on, if you know what I mean...


Two beauties, Rochelle and Adelia


Sherrill, October, and Jerri warming up by the fire, as the night got chilly.


We were also blessed to have Tab play her guitar and sing until about midnight. Her music just touches my soul. I wish I could sing. And I'm thankful that God gave her that talent, to stir others' hearts. And, girl, thank you SO much for the CD. You are awesome!


The last person shivered off to her car at about 1:20am or so. And then I flopped into bed and slept until almost 10am! Oh, what would I do without such an amazing husband? He also put everything away, cleaned the kitchen, and did the dishes. And then he took me shopping again today, and watched all the kids while I tried on some jeans. What kind of man braves the mall with four kids? Yes, I may be a teeny bit spoiled. But that's what we're supposed to do, right? Spoil each other.
You are all fantastic!! Thank you!

7 comments:

Brandi said...

That sounds like a great Birthday and a great get together

Shirley said...

I am so glad that God answered your prayer for girlfriends! Since I have recently moved, I am also praying for those special friendships in my new area.
Happy Belated Birthday!
Shirley

Jerri Dalrymple said...

Oh my gosh! That was SOOOO much fun! More laughing than I've done in a coon's age! :0) Let's do it again soon!

Simply Stork said...

Oh you lucky ladies...it looks like you had such a great time :o)

happy birthday to Wendy :o)

~simply~

Ann-Marie said...

Happy birthday, Wendy! I wish I could have been there to celebrate with you - I was there in spirit!

You are a gift to my life!

Shan said...

Wait a minute! I DO know lots of your friends! At least I know most of them a tiny bit. I didn't realize it was just the girls and a b-day party at that. I guess I could have come to that easier. :( HAPPY HAPPY WENDY!! You are such a CUTIE :D Glad you had such a fun day.

Anonymous said...

Wendy,
Thank you for inviting me to the party. It was nice to meet new people and catch up with old friends. I had fun.
Charlie