Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New projects and fresh ideas

We've been busy with horse camp and playdates this week, but there's still downtime after lunch. Today, after the kids whipped me at Sequence, they drew some "plans" for me. I can't get to the sketches right now without the risk of waking of snoozers. And no mama would risk that!

At least I can tell you about them.

Nature Man thinks I should do more projects with animals. Go figure. He specifically requested a lizard or frog apron. Lucky for him, I have that fabric!! (Thanks again, CM!) Here is his apron, cut out and ready to sew. I'll use the same template and material for the etsy shop. You probably can't tell from the picture, but that large lizard in the center is a big pocket, in the shape of a fish bowl. Boys need big pockets! The Artist drew pictures of creatures, with fins and optional teeth. I love that the teeth are "optional."
Soooo
, I worked a bit to finish up "in-progress" aprons, and then cut out patterns for new aprons and creatures. All of the patterns are mine. I'm measuring and sketching them out on butcher paper. And the kids are in this business venture with me, all the way!

Here we have a striped bunny. It will be a full apron with ties in coordinating colors. The bunny is appliqued on, using mega-bonder. It will be fray-proofed and hand stitched around as well. Ignore the stray fabric scrap.
Had to have an owl. Just call him Hooters.


This bunny one is a favorite. I cut it out of canvas-y material, and the bunnies are from that super-awesome curtain-like upholstery fabric. Yeah, it costs an arm and a leg, but in small amounts it's do-able. I added two rows of lace along the top of this one. (yes, I always stay up too late.)
The birds. I love me some darlin' birdies! Should I leave this as-is, or add a large and long branch, reaching up and around the apron?
Some people read magazines. Some watch tv. Some go running. Me? I sew. I sew when I watch movies with my wonderful man. I sew as I sit & laugh at the kids, swimming in the kiddie pool outside. And I sew when we drive from here to there, chatting along with the family. Ah, the joy of a good hobby!

And thank God that we are all different, with unique talents. I still can't bake a cake to save my life (although I do love to bake anything and everything else!! My cakes just... die.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are putting that fabric to good use. It sat in a drawer for a few years at my house.

Charlie

Suzanne said...

I haven't been able to leave a comment I don't know, it's giving me some trouble today.

Anyhoo...I'm glad you suck at cakes. I was no longer going to be able to continue any sort of friendship unless I had at least 1 stinkin thing that I could do better than you. :)-