Thursday, January 6, 2011

Proverbs 31 Woman

The Sketchbook Challenge this month is "Highly Prized."

Naturally, I decided to go with "woman."

Because we're awesome. ;)

No, really because this is what we should aspire to be.
The Proverbs 31 Woman is Most Certainly a "Highly Prized" Woman!

10A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is
still night; she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is
profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine
linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and
sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have
done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Two friends of mine bestowed me with Hobby Lobby gift cards (hi guys!!) so I promptly bought Prisma colored pencils, new fine-tip markers, and a leather dancing bell kit (yes, seriously.) I'm not at all accustomed to working in colored pencil and, frankly, I'm more than a little scared of screwing up my picture. But I want to expand and jump out of the comfort zone a bit.

Fine, laugh.

I work in sharpies and yet colored pencil terrifies me.

My consolation is that, regardless of how it ultimately turns out, this is MY sketchbook and MY art, and I am not a perfectionist. I'll do my best and leave the rest (P90X stuck in the brain.)
Here is my inspiration picture:

And my sharpie start to the picture:

(Must start where I'm comfortable.)

some colored pencil added...

I'll add more later + my verses and... I don't know, maybe even paint. We'll see...
I have a couple of friends doing the sketch challenge. Anyone else want to join us??

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting these verses. I really like the version you used, it makes it so much more real than the good old King James version. It is a lot to aspire to, but I think that over a lifetime, we can do it. I needed the reminder today, that I want to grow up to be like her, thanks!

Anna K. said...

That's an awesome beginning, Wendy! I can't wait to see how it turns out...love the Proverbs 31 inspiration, too!

Soaring High said...

Wow! That is really good! I love Prisma Colored Pencils. I still have my set from illustration class in college. I am most comfortable in pencils and watercolor and I FINALLY bought my paper today. Haven't done much since having kids and I wanted a whole new sketch book, water color paper, etc....
I'm chomping to get started!!

Jessica Heights said...

I like your drawing! I also firmly believe that art can change your life...says a painter, and Art Ed grad. :)